Karnataka floods: Death toll rises to 24; Government pegs loss at Rs 6,000 crore
Bengaluru: The Karnataka government on Saturday pegged the damage inflicted by torrential downpour and subsequent floods in the state at Rs 6,000 crore. Meanwhile, the death toll in the state has reached 24. Over 2 lakh people have been evacuated from flood-hit and rain-affected areas of Karnataka.
Karnataka C M BS Yediyurappa said this is the “biggest calamity” in 45 years adding his government has sought Rs 3000 crore as relief from the Centre.
“We are planning to reconstruct houses that were damaged in rains. Some of the villages have to be rebuilt completely,” he told reporters here.
“So far 24 people have died in various rain-related incidents,” he said.
Rescue and relief work was being carried out by teams of personnel comprising NDRF, and the armed forces, he added.
According to reports, 2,07,212 people have been evacuated by rescue teams comprising fire and emergency department personnel, State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) and the Indian army.
In Belagavi , 1,410 km of roads, 211 bridges, over 4,000 government buildings, hundreds of water supply infrastructure, 2,000 electric poles were destroyed.